When you want to become great at something you turn to others who have already walked your journey. Some aspects of entrepreneurship are unique to each journey but others are foundational. Here are some of those foundational truths from the men and women who have walked the journey of entrepreneurship.
"You have to see failure as the beginning and the middle, but never entertain it as an end." - Jessica Herrin, founder and CEO of Stella & Dot
- "Don’t get distracted. Never tell yourself that you need to be the biggest brand in the whole world. Start by working on what you need at the present moment and then what you need to do tomorrow. So, set yourself manageable targets." - Jas Bagniewski, Co-Founder of Eve Sleep
- "It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you’ll do things differently." - Warren Buffett, Chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway.
- "If we tried to think of a good idea, we wouldn’t have been able to think of a good idea. You just have to find the solution for a problem in your own life." - Brian Chesky, Co-founder of Airbnb
- "One of the huge mistakes people make is that they try to force an interest on themselves. You don't choose your passions; your passions choose you." - Jeff Bezos, Founder and CEO of Amazon.com and owner of 'The Washington Post.'
“Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune.” - Jim Rohn, Famed International Speaker, Mentor
“The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.” - Walt Disney, Co-founder Walt Disney Productions
- “Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.” - Steve Jobs, Co-founder, CEO, and Chairman Apple Inc.
- "Only the paranoid survive." - Andy Grove, former CEO of Intel
- "The success of a company is always about the team. All pieces that come from the team are necessary to bring the company forward and to reach new heights." - Sassa Akervall, CEO & Owner of Akervall Technologies Inc.
- “The only thing worse than starting something and failing… is not starting something.” - Seth Godin, founder Squidoo
- “The fastest way to change yourself is to hang out with people who are already the way you want to be.” - Reid Hoffman, co-founder LinkedIn
- "There is no royal flower-strewn path to success. And if there is, I have not found it, for whatever success I have attained has been the result of much hard work and many sleepless nights." - Madam C.J. Walker, entrepreneur, philanthropist, and political and social activist
- “In the end, a vision without the ability to execute it is probably a hallucination.” - Steve Case, co-founder AOL
- "Five days a week, I read my goals before I go to sleep and when I wake up. There are 10 goals around health, family and business with expiration dates, and I update them every six months." - Daymond John, founder, president, and CEO of FUBU
- "It’s very important for entrepreneurs to look for people in the company who are not afraid of failures, for example, intrapreneurs. They make a business more successful by thinking like an entrepreneur -- but within a company." - Chirag Kulkarni, Founder of Taco
- “Embrace what you don’t know, especially in the beginning, because what you don’t know can become your greatest asset. It ensures that you will absolutely be doing things different from everybody else.” - Sara Blakely, founder SPANX
- “There are lots of bad reasons to start a company. But there’s only one good, legitimate reason, and I think you know what it is: it’s to change the world.” - Phil Libin, CEO Evernote
- “Make every detail perfect and limit the number of details to perfect.” - Jack Dorsey, Founder Twitter
- “But as an entrepreneur, you have to feel like you can jump out of an aeroplane because you’re confident that you’ll catch a bird flying by. It’s an act of stupidity, and most entrepreneurs go play because the bird doesn’t come by, but a few times it does.” - Reed Hastings , CEO Netflix
"Everything has been carefully designed to give you two pages of room for creating your best days. What I love about this Journal is it allows you to touch upon every aspect of your life, albeit briefly. You can give it very little time, but get so much out of using it." - Jennifer Cohen, Forbes Magazine